Note: This Legal Notice also covers Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company, its affiliated companies; their officers, directors, agents, representatives and employees; and any other persons associated with the creation of this site.
Please also take a few moments to read about the steps we have taken to make your online activities safer and learn what you can do to protect yourself on the internet:
- Management and protection of personal information policy
- How we collect, use and disclose information
- Share your opinion and concerns with us
Respect for privacy and confidentiality is important to Canadians. In recent years, both federal and provincial governments have adopted legislative measures designed to protect personal information.
Since Desjardins Financial Security Investments Inc. was founded, significant and effective measures have been put in place to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we handle. In order to offer quality financial services, we require access to medical, financial and family information. We manage this information with the utmost discretion and in compliance with Canadian statutory and regulatory requirements.
We are committed to managing and protecting your personal information:
• What is personal information?
• Collecting personal information and creating files
• Retention, use and disclosure of personal information
• Disclosing personal information to service providers outside Canada
• Right of access and correction
• Complaints handling
• Privacy Officer
• Changes to the policy
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual or any facts which, on their own or combined with other data, can identify an individual. Personal information doesn't include the names and titles of an organization's employees or the addresses and telephone numbers of their workplace. It doesn't apply to information regarding companies or other legal entities.
The personal information we have about you is kept in a file so we can offer you our insurance, annuity, credit and related financial services.
With regard to our subsidiary, Desjardins Financial Security Investment Inc., the purpose of the file is to offer you a variety of financial services, including mutual funds and investment contracts.
We collect from you or, with your consent, from third parties, the personal information necessary to provide the services you require. If you decline to provide this information or to consent to its disclosure, we may be unable to offer our services.
We collect only the information necessary for the purpose of the file, in compliance with the law.
You are the first person we approach to obtain your personal information. Subject to certain exceptions provided by law, your consent is required to collect personal information about you from a third party. In such a case, we indicate the source of the information in the file.
Our applications and forms include an authorization section that enables us to collect, use and disclose (only under certain circumstances) your personal information. It is very important that you read this section carefully before signing it.
We always ask for your consent before we collect or disclose your medical information.
When we open a file on you, we inform you of:
- The purpose of the file
- How the personal information will be used
- Who will have access to the personal information in the file
- Where the file will be kept
- Your right to access or correct personal information in the file
- How to get in touch with the Privacy Officer
We process your claims in the strictest confidence. Any medical information we obtain is used only for the purpose of assessing these claims. Our claims forms include a section authorizing us to collect any additional information needed to assess these claims.
We apply the necessary and appropriate security measures to protect the confidential nature of the personal information in our possession. This means that only authorized individuals can access the personal information in the files and only when necessary in the course of their duties.
We have implemented various security measures, including:
- All permanent and temporary employees must sign a confidentiality agreement
- Rules concerning the protection of the confidentiality of personal information in the files have been added to our Code of ethics and professional conduct, and the violation of these rules can lead to disciplinary action, up to dismissal
- Company representatives and providers of goods and services with access to personal information must sign a confidentiality agreement
- Security systems have been installed in our business establishments to prevent unauthorized access
- Appropriate safeguards have been installed in our computer systems
We do our best to ensure that the information in the file is up to date before it is used to make any decisions concerning you. Unless you consent, or it is required by law, personal information in the files is never used for any purpose other than that for which it was intended.
Our client lists are only used or disclosed as permitted by law. We can use these lists to inform our clients of promotions or to offer a new product. If you would like your name to be removed from the list, contact our Privacy Officer at any time.
We won't disclose the personal information about you contained in the file to any third party, unless we receive written consent from you, or we are authorized by law to do so (for example, in the case of an inquiry by the officers of the court).
When personal information is sent outside of Desjardins Insurance, it is done so as to ensure confidentiality, even if you are the one who will receive the information.
In the normal course of its operations, DFS sometimes works with non-Canadian service providers to perform certain specific activities. It is therefore possible that some of your personal information may be sent to another country and be subject to the laws of that country.
However, DFS ensures that it protects all the personal information it has in its possession, including information sent to service providers located both in Canada and elsewhere. In accordance with DFS’s privacy policies and practices, these service providers must sign a written confidentiality agreement to protect personal information that is sent to them.
For more information about DFS’s policies and practices regarding the disclosure of personal information outside Canada, contact the DFS Privacy Officer.
You can access the personal information relating to you contained in the file by sending a written request to the Privacy Officer.This right of access and correction covers:
- The right to consult the personal information in the file free of charge
- The right to obtain a copy of the personal information in the file for a reasonable fee
- The right to have incomplete, inaccurate or ambiguous information corrected in the file
In the event of a disagreement with us concerning your rights as set out in this document, or any other situation concerning the protection of your personal information, you can file a complaint with the Privacy Officer.
The office of the Privacy Officer will look into the matter and inform you of the procedure to follow. Each complaint will be investigated. If the complaint is justified, we will correct the situation raised in the complaint.
The Privacy Officer
- Responds to requests for access and correction
- Handles requests to remove names from contact lists
- Responds to complaints concerning the management and protection of personal information
- Manages inquiries regarding the disclosure of personal information to service providers located outside Canada
The Privacy Officer is also available to provide you with information or to answer questions about the management and protection of personal information:
Office of the Chief Privacy Officer
100, rue des Commandeurs
We reserve the right to change this policy at any time.
Desjardins Financial Security Investments Inc. gather personal information, i.e., information relating specifically to you, including your name, address, or email, only when you supply it to us of your own free will.
Desjardins Financial Security Investments Inc. undertake to protect your personal information using the appropriate security measures. If you would like to know more about the measures we have taken, please consult the section " Security".
Desjardins Financial Security Investments Inc. may gather information for statistical purposes, for instance, to determine the relative popularity of each site page, the average number of pages accessed per visitor, and the average time each visitor spends on the site. None of this information is linked to you as an individual visitor. We use it only for in-house audit purposes and to help us improve our site.
Surveys and Contests
By completing a survey or entering a contest, you share with us your opinion, response, or any other information you care to provide. We may use this information in our survey results and post them on our Website. In the case of contests, we use your entry for draw purposes only.
Google will use the information collected to:
- analyze your use of the Sites and Applications
- compile reports on Site and Application activity
- provide other services related to Site and Application activity as well as Internet use
DoubleClick is a cookie that Google Analytics uses to collect anonymous information. Google Analytics' Advertising Features on sites that use DoubleClick include:
- Remarketing using Google Analytics
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- DoubleClick platform integrations and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting
- Floodlight Integration, a Doubleclick feature that enables marketing agencies hired by Desjardins Financial Security Investments Inc. to gauge their plateforms user activity after seeing or clicking on their ads. Floodlight is used for reports and ad optimization.
Learn more about the technology and how to opt out fo interest-based ads.
Google Analytics uses the User ID feature on the Sites and Applications. The feature makes it possible to associate information regarding relationships between various computer tools and several sessions with unique identifiers. Each User ID represents an individual anonymous user in Google Analytics.
When browsing, you can deactivate Google Analytics and/or DoubleClick by selecting the appropriate browser or computer tool parameters, advertising parameters, mobile advertisement parameters or other, notably the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on.
By using the Sites or Applications, you expressly agree to allow Google to process personal data under the conditions and for the purposes outlined above.
We welcome your comments, questions and concerns. Your opinion is important to us.
Contact our Privacy Officer by mail, phone or email:
Office of the Chief Privacy Officer
100, rue des Commandeurs
Please note that if you send us an email, your email address will be used only to reply to you.